Pushing for a Stronger Democracy
There isn’t a strong need for get-out-to-vote postcards this year, and in case you hadn’t noticed, stamps are expensive! So, the Blue Wave Postcard Movement is taking a break (although, feel free to donate to our stamp fund in the meantime so that we can build up our reserve!), in hopes that everyone will be fired up and ready to write postcards for the 2022 elections.
There are still a lot of things you can do to help our democracy right now:
- Join Indivisible: https://indivisible.org. This progressive group is working hard to preserve our democracy. Give them your email address, and they’ll send you a weekly list of things to do, like calling your representative and senators about national issues. This takes about 5 minutes/week during a slow week. On a busy week, it might take 5 minutes/day.
- Take it a step further and join a local group: https://indivisible.org/groups. You’ll meet new people, make new friends, and be a part of making our government work for the people.
- The Indivisible Front Range Resistance group and the Indivisible Colorado Action Network publishes a weekly to-do list with local issues. Sign Up Here to Receive Weekly Calls to Action.
- Common Cause is doing a lot of phone banking right now in hopes of passing the Freedom to Vote Act. More information may be found here.
- Get involved with local issues. For years, conservatives have been bench-building at a local level - City Council and School Board races, for instance. It is important for progressives to pay attention to these races, and your support at this level with donations or volunteer time can have a big impact. Republicans have a much better track record of voting during off year elections than Democrats do, so it is important to get involved and get out the vote locally.
- Continue to express your opinions to your representatives in the House and Senate. Push them to support voting rights, climate action, gun legislation, and the infrastructure bill. Push to end or modify the filibuster, so that Democrats can actually get good legislation done while we have the majority.
We need to remember the positive things that have happened in the last 2 years:
- We elected Joe Biden and Kamala Harris!
- Trump was impeached for a second time.
- Congress passed the COVID Relief bill
- The Child Tax Credit was passed.
- We have COVID vaccines and booster shots (much more quickly than anyone expected.) Over 1 billion vaccines have been administered globally.
- The 20-year war in Afghanistan has come to an end. (Not perfectly executed, but at least it is over)
- The U.S. rejoined the Paris Climate Accord and the World Health Administration.
- President Biden cancelled the Keystone XL Pipeline.
- President Biden restored protections for Bears Ears Monument, Grand Staircase, and Northeast Canyons & Seamounts Marine National Monument.
We urge you all to stay involved, and keep pushing for a stronger Democracy. It will take all of us!
-Adrianne, Director of Operations & Louisville Coordinator [bio]